Person-Centred Counselling / Humanistic Counselling
What is ‘Person-centred Counselling’?
‘Person-centred’ or ‘Humanistic Counselling’, also known as Person-Centred Therapy (PCT) or Rodgerian Therapy, is a form of talking therapy developed by well-known psychologist Carl Rogers which we use complimentary to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) here at Fresh Mind Therapy.
The goal of Person-centred Counselling is to give clients the opportunity to develop a sense of ‘self’ based on fulfilling their potential. PCT builds on the notion that, given the right conditions, all people are capable of being loving, creative and knowledgeable.
How can Person-centred Therapy help me?
PCT sessions use the following framework to help you move on from your problems:
- Emphasis on a strong and trusting therapist – client relationship
- Emphasis on building your awareness of your experiences
- Practising ‘therapist congruence’ – genuineness and integrity of our therapists
- Providing unconditional support for you – as therapists we accept you unconditionally and without judgement
- ‘Therapist Empathic Response’ – we provide genuine empathy for you and the challenges you face