Counselling and Psychotherapy for Fertility, Pregnancy and Conception Issues
What kinds of issues are associated with conception, pregnancy and childbirth?
Many of us would like to have a child, if not more than one eventually, but may be having difficulties not only with conception or keeping a pregnancy but also accepting the change a child will bring to our lives. In the UK, it is estimated that around one in six couples have difficulty conceiving. This is approximately 3.5 million people (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Infertility/Pages/Introduction.aspx). On the other hand, some of us may already be expecting but are experiencing stress symptoms such as panic, fear, frustration, chronic fatigue or a range of other debilitating conditions. In addition, some of us may also be experiencing symptoms of miscarriage grief.
What symptoms can result from fertility problems or pregnancy anxiety?
- Feelings of shame
- Relationship problems
- Withdrawal from healthy social interactions
- Withdrawal from activities
- Miscarriage grief
- Obsessive behaviours
- Orthorexia nervosa (obsession with healthy eating)
- Sleep difficulties
- Tokophobia (fear of pregnancy or child-birth)
- Low self-esteem
- Muscle aches and pains
How can counselling help me?
At Fresh Mind Therapy, we understand the gamut of emotions surrounding having a child and are on hand to support you through conception challenges, pregnancy or childbirth fears and miscarriage grief. Working with a Fresh Mind Therapist will help you to:
- Identify and examine the thoughts and behaviours surrounding your fertility issues
- Challenge negative beliefs about pregnancy and childbirth
- Reduce anxiety, depression, frustration, grief and low self-esteem resulting from your issues
- Feel psychologically supported while you address physical fertility issues with other health professionals
- Gain a healthy perspective on your fertility and family goals
Don’t continue to suffer without support. Speak to one our therapists now.